Stress is a feeling that people have when they are overloaded and struggling to cope with demands.These demands can be related to finances, work, relationships, and other situations, but anything that poses a real or perceived challenge or threat to a person's well-being can cause stress. Our bodies are designed to handle small doses of stress. But, we are not equipped to handle long-term, chronic stress without ill consequences.
You need to seek help if the following is happening:
- Stress is affecting your physical health.
- You are using unhealthy coping methods to deal with stress like alcohol or drugs.
- You are experiencing angry outbursts that are affecting those around you.
- Feeling overwhelmed, like you are losing control
- Are unable to focus
- Feeling lonely, worthless, and depressed
- Low energy
- Aches, pains, and tense muscles
Stress is a part of life. What matters most is how you handle it,
Seeing a counsellor will help in :
- Identifying stress triggers : underlying issues like fears, inadequacy or low self-esteem may cause stress.
- Learning to cope with the triggers
- Goal setting
- Establishing support networks